Katie Moss has been left wanting to throw up after discovering she had been chewing on a vast, exotic spider that was lurking in her McDonalds wrap. The 21-Year-Old had innocently ordered a chicken and bacon wrap, chips, and a 99p burger from McDonald’s for her lunch on Just Eat.
Having munched through about three-quarters of the wrap, the mom from Winsford, Chesire, realized she had bitten into something so hard. As anyone would, Katie was horrified to see the exotic-looking spider and has since believed the never seen creature wasn’t from the UK.
Katie Moss ordered a chicken and bacon wrap, chips, and a 99p burger from McDonald’s for her lunch on JustEat.
“At first, I thought it was the end of the tomato, so I pulled it out, and at first I thought it was just part of the chicken, but when I looked closer, I thought it was a crab, then I realized it was a spider. I spat the rest out, but I had bitten into it. I was disgusted; I felt like throwing up. It was all curled up,” Katie, according to Daily Mail, said.
But after eating three-quarters of the wrap, Katie made a horrifying discovery – a hard exotic spider was in it.
She added: “I don’t think the spider was from the UK because I’ve never seen a spider like that before. It was some kind of exotic spider. I don’t mind spiders, but I don’t want one in my mouth. It didn’t taste of anything at the time, but, afterward, there was an off taste in my mouth, which could have been my imagination.”
As she bit into the item bought for £11.40, she felt something ‘hard’ and, on close inspection, found a spider.
The care assistant claimed the £11.40 order had put her off takeaways for life. She continued: “I’m traumatized by it; I’m paranoid. I am examining everything I eat now, including things I’ve cooked, and it’s put me off all takeaways. I couldn’t even drink Coke after.” Katie claims she instantly called the Winsford branch and was offered a replacement meal and a refund.
Katie has been offered a refund/replacement voucher, but she has vowed never to order from McDonald’s.
But the mom-of-two was unimpressed as she had vowed never to eat at the restaurant again. She also contacted McDonald’s through the Just Eat app, and they promised to investigate and even offered her a £10 voucher, but yet again, she doesn’t plan to use it. Nonetheless, McDonald’s has apologized and is now investigating the chewed-up item to establish what it is and how it got into Katie’s food.
The fast-food chain has apologized and is investigating the item and how it got into her wrap.
“Food safety is of the utmost importance to us. We place great emphasis on quality control, following rigorous standards to avoid any imperfections, so we are sorry to hear of this customers’ experience. As soon as this was brought to the attention of the restaurant, the customer was apologized to and offered both a refund and replacement meal.”
So far, they suspect it could have emerged from a bag of fresh lettuce.
“The customer has also returned the item in question, which will enable us to investigate further. We understand the customer has been liaising with our Customer Services Team too, who are helping to find a restaurant,” A McDonald’s spokesperson stated.